Monday, September 15, 2008



It's the Moon Festival tonight, though not here in Porter Place, I guess, which is silent as always. There are no children with lanterns and excited voices outside. It's quiet, with a cold and brilliant moon dazzling us through the trees but voicelessly.

In Sunset Way, there would have been lanterns and sparklers hung about the flora on the canal. The kids and I couldn't help but think about where we were this time last year. We remembered how Poniyem would light most of the sparklers and keep them going, one after another. There was some drama too. A lantern belonging to one of Warren and Su's children melted on to J's hand, burning it. The night ended in a hurry, with blisters and rushed bedtimes.

Maybe next year.

Today I got into our pool at Bridle Run for the first time. It was cold! I was surprised! I'm from the tropics. I need a little sunshine in my water. Another surprise. Yesterday, J arrived at the house to find men tearing up the roof. Luckily they put on a new one.

And then, while I snoozed on our lone stick of furniture (a wicker couch on the porch. Ok, it's a set, not a stick, but we don't have much else), J installed a solar tube in our closet. It was my idea but his labour. You know what, there are those of us in this world who are fixers of things and those of us who are content to let things fall about our ears. Guess which categories J and I belong to?? Today we went to visit with a neighbour whose husband is said -- with a faintly disapproving air when said -- not to do much around the house. I felt rather sorry for him, and can identify perfectly. I don't see the fun in being addicted to responsibility...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh... lovely conservatory!

11:54 pm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home